Coming to the USA for more than a short visit?
If you’re coming to the USA for more than a short visit you’re going to want to meet and make friends in America.
Here are some good places for international travelers and immigrants to the USA to find friends:
- The park
- Coffee shops (many also use them as places to office or as private time to ‘center’/think/read)
- Social clubs, singles events, book clubs, support groups,…
- college mall, the sub (student union building), the quad,…whatever they call it
- Online, on Facebook and social media (no kidding!) – Find some interests and search for local groups in your area
- Bookstores like Barnes & Noble which have places to sit down, and often cafes inside of them
- Through volunteer organizations/donating your time serving others
We discourage clubs, bars and other ‘singles’ meetup locations because late nights, drinking, poor English skills and guys/girls on the prowl can be a bad combination. Also you may not be meeting the best types of friends there and they are not often in the best parts of town. If you do go, let a friend take you someplace they already know. And understand that public intoxication is frowned on in America and not well-tolerated, especially if that person is from another country!
While Americans often appear busy and guard their free time jealously, they are also open, forgiving, tolerant, and mostly good natured. Most Americans realize that these behaviors will help them succeed and have a better, happier life.
Here’s an article helping Americans locate new friends if moving to a new neighborhood or community: